Dangerous foods you should not feed your pet

Christmas and New Years are just around the corner and most of us are going to enjoy lovely delicious foods and desserts. Most of us also like to spoil our pets, we don’t want them to feel left out, but… It is essential to know that your four-legged friend cannot eat all kinds of human foods as it can lead to serious medical conditions. Of course, you don’t want anything bad to happen to your pet, right?

You should avoid feeding your pet the following foods:


Loads of sugar-free products contain Xylitol. Make sure you always have a look at the label before feeding your pet something that contains Xylitol, as it is absolutely toxic. Xylitol can cause your pet to have seizures, brain damage and liver failure.

Chocolate – Coffee – Caffeine

Methylxanthines are present in chocolates, coffee and caffeinated products, which can be life-threatening to your pet. It can cause major medical emergencies and can even cause the death of your furbaby. Yes, this is how bad Methylxanthines are.

Onions – Garlic – Chives

Whether it is powder, raw or cooked, these foods can cause destruction in your pet’s red blood cells and can also be the reason for an irritated tummy.

Raw or undercooked meat – Eggs and Bones

Salmonella and E.coli are bacteria that can be found in these foods which can be detrimental for your pet’s health.

Lots of pet owners believe that bones are fine for dogs, but it is the total opposite. Bones are super dangerous as your pet can choke on it or the bone can splinter and cause punctures in your pet’s intestines.

Grapes and Raisins

Grapes and Raisins seem so harmless, however, it can actually cause kidney failure in your pet. Experts are not exactly sure what it is that makes these foods so extremely toxic, but they do recommend to be rather safe than sorry. Kidney failure is definitely not something we want our beloved companions to go through.


Various animals cannot eat avocado as it causes damage to the heart. Everyone knows that heart problems can ultimately lead to death.


Every part of a citrus fruit contains citric acid and essential oils. The citric acid and essential oils can cause your pet to have an irritated tummy.

Dairy products

People have enzymes that are able to break down lactose in milk, most pets are lactose intolerant, especially cats. Milk, or any other dairy products, can cause your furry friend to have an upset stomach. No one likes to have an upset stomach, not even pets.

Salt and Salty snacks

If your pet had too much salt, it can cause your pet to be severely ill. Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhoea, shakiness and fever. It can even lead to seizures and death.


Our pets’ bodies cannot absorb foods with high fat and oil content. Nuts are way too fatty and oily for our pets, therefore, in order to ensure that your pet is healthy, it is better to stay away from all types of nuts. Nuts can cause various medical symptoms and some can be so severe that it can become a life-threatening situation.


This is a huge NO for pets! Alcohol has the same effects on our pets as it has on people. Just a little bit of alcohol can cause major damage. It is detrimental to your pet’s brain and liver. Alcohol can cause vomiting, a runny tummy, loss of coordination, depression, breathing abnormalities, abnormal blood acidity and coma. If your pet consumes alcohol, it can lead to death for sure. If you think there is a slight chance that your pet ingested alcohol somehow, contact your vet ASAP.

It is always better to do some research before giving your four-legged friend human food. Your pet’s health and overall wellbeing is so important. Look after your pet this holiday season, and every other day, so you can love them for longer!

Leave a Comment


your next order

*Terms & Conditions apply



Scroll to Top